Part I | Part II
This is Part 2 of the “50 Rules” for Muslim Brothers and Sisters the author created after being inspired by another blogger’s list of life rules compiled for his daughter and son. Part 1 of this list can be found here.
50 Rules for my Muslim brothers and sisters:
26. Beware the personality test. You believing them will say more about you than the test itself.
27. The phrase “act your age” goes both ways. You are already 20, but you are also only 20.
28. Never use the term “brother” or “sister” passively. When you say it, mean it.
29. You’ll mess up sometimes. Bad. Don’t beat yourself up over it. Inshallah Allah has already forgiven you. Now it’s your turn.
30. Not everyone you meet will have the best intentions. Show them how it’s done.
31. If your being Muslim ever draws stares, make sure to give ‘em your good side.
32. A good reason for missing prayer is a lot like unicorns.
33. Put grades second. Enjoy the subject first. If that’s hard for you, then your priority shouldn’t be exams, but self-examination.
34. You know why you do what you do, and that’s all that matters. They’re not called outtentions.
35. To know him is to love him. Learn obsessively and live vicariously through the Prophet.
36. Some people will insist on constantly arguing about controversial religious topics. Let them. You just focus on waking up before the sun does.
37. Sometimes changing a world is more valuable than changing the world.
38. Develop a completely vulnerable dependence on the Quran.
39. I know you would sling rocks and put your life on the line if you were in Palestine, but you aren’t, so go flyer.
40. Two things you should never waste: food and opportunity. If you don’t want it, give it to someone who does.
41. Let a cause you care about completely consume you.
42. Unless you have 6 birthdays, direct message your high school physics teacher that you love them and enjoy explaining to your irate mother that you aren’t actually engaged, log out.
43. Allow injustice to anger you. Numbness to suffering is an attribute of the spiritually deceased.
44. Unashamedly learn as if you’ll live forever. Our religion began with the word “Read”, not skim.
45. Converse with the elderly. Their wisdom is proven. They want to share it, and you need them to.
46. There’s more to freshmen than swipes…just kidding.
47. There’ll come a point where Allah will decide to serve you up a heaping slice of humble pie. Since when has any Muslim Bruin ever rejected free food? Dig in.
48. Leader isn’t a position, it’s an adjective.
49. To completely love your mother is to love all mothers.
50. Love unconditionally, Laugh uncontrollably, and Live unified.